This project is part of LOTI’s Digital Inclusion Innovation Programme, which aims to use innovation methods to design and scale initiatives that support digitally excluded Londoners who have been left particularly vulnerable during the Covid pandemic.
People living with dementia were hit particularly hard by the pandemic. The lockdowns impacted the routines and regular support upon which they rely. Community support groups had to pivot to using technologies to re-engage and support people from their homes. However, lack of devices, support, connectivity and skills made it difficult for many to engage online. Even when in-person support services resume, many individuals are apprehensive about re-engaging in person.
LOTI will work with the Helix Centre (part of Imperial College London) to co-design and pilot new ways to provide dementia support. We aim to equip community support groups with the right skills and knowledge to provide digitally inclusive services to people affected by dementia and their carers.
The aim of this project is to:
- Help people with dementia stay in their homes longer;
- Promote good physical and mental health and wellbeing among carers and people with dementia;
- Support local authorities’ responsibility to provide good quality information and advice;
- Facilitate knowledge exchange and the sharing of best practice between the groups that support people with dementia and their carers;
- Further the digital inclusion agenda. The end model can be scaled for other service providers to use.
The project is split into three phases:
Phase 1: Definition
We will work with local authorities and community organisations to understand and prioritise opportunities with the boroughs. We will develop teams of interested individuals to co-design new digital inclusion initiatives.
Phase 2: Co-design
We will co-design prototypes to test and improve through iteration with local authorities, community groups, people with dementia and their carers.
Phase 3: Implementation
We will support the implementation of new digital engagements and share our experiences and learning. Ideas and opportunities to further progress the work will be developed.