Not all organisations have enough of their own retired devices to meet the needs of digitally excluded residents and may need to source devices from elsewhere. To address the high level of need during the COVID-19 pandemic, for example, several London boroughs worked with local businesses, community groups, charities and private sector organisations to source additional devices.
- What is the minimum threshold for the quality of devices we wish to accept?
- Do we need to have a transfer of ownership agreement between the donor organisation and our own organisation?
- What are the donor’s and our organisation’s needs for the delivery and storage of devices?
- Do we have secure storage facilities for large numbers of donated devices?
- Engage with your Legal team as early as possible to understand your organisation’s position on what form of transfer of ownership agreement will be acceptable. It can take time to agree and sign a transfer of ownership agreement, especially if both the donor and recipient organisations have a long list of conditions and insist on using their own agreement templates. To help, you can adapt LOTI’s template transfer of ownership / gift agreement.
- If you plan to receive donated devices on your organisation’s premises, engage with your Facilities team early on to discuss secure storage and insurance.
- Consider whether it would be easier for donated devices to be sent directly to your upcycling service provider to avoid potential storage and insurance challenges.
- If the devices are to be transported from the donor organisation directly to your upcycling service provider, plan for the impact on the transfer of ownership and make decisions that satisfy everyone’s security requirements but that are also proportionate to the actual risk. You have three main options:
- a) Create two transfer of ownership agreements (one between your organisation and the donor organisation and another between your organisation and the upcycling service provider) and factor in time to get both agreements agreed and signed before receiving the devices
- b) Create one agreement between all three parties (your organisation, the donor organisation and the upcycling service provider) that clearly outlines everyone’s responsibilities
- c) Create a transfer of ownership agreement between the donor organisation and your upcycling service provider – this is the most effective way to manage the process