Step 3: Collect and store the devices
Whether you source devices internally or from a donor organisation, you will need to consider where they will be stored whilst waiting to be transferred to your chosen upcycling service provider or directly to your beneficiaries.
- Do we and/or the donor organisation require secure/tracked collection?
- Do we and/or the donor organisation require the devices to be stored at a secure facility?
- Does the upcycling service provider offer secure/tracked collection and storage at a secure facility?
- Can data wiping be done in-house, either by our organisation or the donor organisation?
- If your upcycling service provider is not local to your area, consider how this may increase delivery and collection costs and project timescales.
- Understand your organisation’s and your donor organisation’s collection and storage requirements in advance.
- Find out whether data wiping can be carried out in-house (your IT team should be able to advise) or by the donor organisation in order to reduce secure storage requirements.